Sunday, March 2, 2008

Where should I network?

Facebook? LinkedIn? Ryze?

There are multiple networking sites... but some are more related to social networking, while others are more for business networking. I think there is a different between networking sites like Facebook and MySpace, and LinkedIn and Ryze. According to ABC News "social networking sites like Friendster and MySpace... social networking business model(s), while attractive for users, has not yet proven a consistent money maker. (Will the Web Replace the Business Lunch?)" I don't believe the social networking sites will move into the business networking arena. Facebook, for example, let's people add photos and has applications depending on someone's interests. How many people post pictures to do with work or are more likely to have a business application over an application called "Would you rather..." or "Graffiti?"

I also found it interesting to use some of these sites, such as LinkedIn as a way to keep in contact with old business associates and remembering people you have worked with. Whenever I thought of business networks online, I thought mainly of Monster.com, in which you found jobs, rather than keeping in contact with people to make new contacts. I think this is a strong way to keep networking, and also enforces my belief that Facebook and MySpace will have a hard time trying to make its way into a business networking area. How can they move in that direction when even their business applications relate to sport fans and common interests in music?


... If anyone is interested more about online networking, I found a blog all about online networking sites. Some even include LinkedIn, Ryze, and Second Life. There are tips, courses, recommendations, and more.

2 comments:

Carolyn said...

I have found social networking sites to actually become a form of business networking. I recently was able to make a connection via a social networking site with another business professional. We have now arranged to met in person to chat but if it wasn't for the social networking site then I may have never spoken or had the chance to arrange meeting. I think it is possible that the business networking arena will become a part of social networking sites. It's like the quote, "anythings possible."

I will admit that MySpace and Facebook face the challenge of entering the business networking arena. That leaves other social networking sites the opportunity to succeed.

I really appreciate the link to the other blogger site. It was very interesting and useful. Another good site which talks about a lot of different topics but has some good insight into social networking is www.micropersuasion.com

Timur Khalif said...

I agree with you and like the fact that you stress keeping old contacts. It is essential to have a handful of contacts who can help you when you are in need. In addition, the factor surrounding this is actually making an effort to stay in touch. We all know that getting a job is not easy and when you have people that can help, it takes the weight off your shoulders.

I also found LinkedIn very interesting when I first saw it. It is a great way to stay connected to those important set of people that can help you in the future or even when you need it.