Friday, February 22, 2008

Are you the Queen of Googlers?

How much information is there out on the internet about people? Too much it seems in some cases. Dr. Scott Haig was seeing a potential patient and found she had been searching information about him. "Susan had chosen me because she had researched my education, read a paper I had written, determined my university affiliation and knew where I lived. It was a little too much — as if she knew how stinky and snorey I was last Sunday morning."

What constitutes as invading one's privacy? One blogger, nicoles7183 said: " AN IDEA: Don't put anything out there that you do not want certain people to see!" I definitely think this is true, but what about when, as in the example of the doctor, you can find out where someone lives or personal information you didn't put out there for people to see. As I've mentioned in past blogs, I think you need to be careful of what you do at work because you are being tracked and don't put information about yourself on the internet that you don't want others to see. But there is other information somehow getting out and who has control of that?

You can Google someone and almost find something out about everyone. That is kind of scary and especially in the case of Susan, who needs to be assured that she is getting someone who can help her. Yet she is getting information that isn't relevant to Dr. Haig's profession and shouldn't be available to a potential patient when it isn't their business. What should be done about that? Further, what can be done about it?

2 comments:

Deepak Shahani said...

I think security is always an issue on the Internet, and you can sometimes feel that people are invading your privacy. This is definitely the case with facebook unless you set your privacy settings.

It is sad how you have to be very careful of what you say, as it can come to haunt you one day. On the Internet you can leave a history about yourself unknowingly, and it can get into the wrong hands or into the hands of people you don't want them to know about.

Raphael Jaras said...

I really liked reading this because I didn't know all that information you put out there. You make some really good points when referring to the idea about just finding information about people. There is a lot of information available on the internet about everybody.
When it comes to doctors or dentists it is valuable information to know about them beacause of the work they do. The security comes into play when you think of possibilities. There are plenty of people I wouldn't want knowing where I call home.