Sunday, February 10, 2008

Who says...

...the internet makes people dumb? According to Doris Lessing, a recent winner of the Nobel Prize, the internet are making people stupid and that people aren't reading anything of importance. The younger generation "who have had years of education... know nothing of the world, have read nothing" and "know only some speciality or other. (Lessing)"

I disagree with this. I feel that the internet has opened more people's eyes to what is going on in the world. It has also given people another source to find information about absolutely anything. I never read the newspaper throughout my life. Since I've come to college, I've started reading it, and that is due to the internet. My homepage is Yahoo! and every time I open the internet, there are different stories on the front page and I often sift through the different headlines to see what is different in the world or something that just interests me. Now when I go to school, I pick up the free newspaper to read what else there is going on that I may have missed.

Many people, as well as myself, now use search engines such as Google, or online encyclopedias, such as Wikipedia or Ask.com to learn about different subjects. A key tool in the use of the internet is interest in a subject. Things I hear or learn about peak my interest, which causes me to look online about the subject. Along with that idea, the internet is more accessible than libraries or other sources. How can the internet be seen as something that makes people more ignorant of what is going on in the world when it is probably the best source of information and the most updated?

1 comment:

Timur Khalif said...

Why in the world would people think that the internet makes us dumber? With everything that is available, I think that is not possible. Anything a person can think of can be found, researched, etc., on the internet. Why would a person even want to go through the hassel of going to the library, getting heavy books, and then having to take them back to their rooms? People need to realize that change is good, especially when it is for the better. People like Doris Lessing are just not used to this and its not their fault for feeling this way. They didn't have it so why should we? Plain and simple, without innovations like the internet, we would have nothing.