Monday, February 11, 2008

Fly with the Best

I was working on my first assignment and as I was reading the different company blogs, I was noting down what the different ones were like and how they were the same and how they were different. They were interesting in their own way, but once I got into the Southwest Airlines company blog, I couldn't stop reading the blogs. As a flier of Southwest, I was curious of what the blog would be like, especially because they are so different and very fun. I got the same type of feeling when I read the blog posts.

They have a variety of different types of blogs, varying from humorous pick up lines, to the integrity of the airlines, to how a woman became an employee for Southwest Airlines. I've been flying with southwest for almost four years now and every once in a while I've seen southern singing flight attendants, ones who crack jokes throughout the whole safety speech, and those who have random conversations on the intercom. Even the labels of the blog posts were interesting, such as "nutty stuff" and "under the hood." I got the same entertaining, friendly feeling reading their posts. Most of the posts from other companies were written by CEO's and higher management, but Southwest posts were written by a variety of employees.

I highly recommend reading Southwests' Blog. If you ever have enjoyed their flights or don't really know about the company, this should give you a good idea of what they are about.

2 comments:

Carolyn said...

It's funny because their blog was one of the blogs I did for an assingmentr as well. last semester, I did a case study on the company and it's interesting if you know their history on how they have struggled and what makes them different from other airline companies. Their blogs weren't this entertaining a year ago but it seems they have improved and are continuing to do so with the company and their technology aspect. Only problem is they are now competing with airlines that are integrating internet and tons of other entertainment features.

Kendra said...

It's interesting that you mention that. In one of my other classes we briefly talked about how planes are possibly going to offer internet on their planes and discussed the pros and cons. I, however, think that it is pointless, except for business travelers. I don't think people need to internet if they are on short flights to places or even some longer ones. I feel that a lot of the things that are coming out in airplanes may not be needed and personally I would stick to Southwest because of my experiences with them. I know that it obviously not going to be the same with a lot of people, but it won't change how I feel about flying with Southwest.