Friday, April 18, 2008

Social networking sites driving away networking community!


(theBivingsreport, A Blog by The Bivings Group, Facebook Applications Analysis - Part3)


According to one blogger, there are many challenges with social networking sites. There are some things that personally bother me about networking sites, but I never realized how much of a negative affect they had on users. Some problems are stalkers on these sites, the bombardment of advertisers, and the fact that there are tons of different sites out there that it makes it hard to compete with one another. One that I find interesting, that also is a problem with cell phones and blackberries are that social networking sites are a distraction from work.

After everything we have talked about in class, I've become more careful what I say on that sites I visit often. I've become more aware of the privacy issues on these sites and updated those to make sure only friends can see what I do and say. At the rate these sites are going, they are going to become less and less popular until they were something of the past. However, when they go down, will others pop up knowing that they are most likely going to follow the same path?

3 comments:

Carolyn said...

I think there will be a continous cycle of social networking sites that will continue to pop up, in hopes that they can become the next facebook. If you think about it, things all started with www.friendster.com then MySpace and so on. It's about trying to be the next big thing that companies and sites are competing for.

Raphael Jaras said...

The only question I had, was about worrying about stalkers on social networking sites. In some cases you have to be careful but when your making a profile on linkedIn its all about the amount of information you put out there. I wanted to know your opinion o how available you make yourself in that kind of situation.

Deepak Shahani said...

I agree that you have to be careful what you put on the Internet and the privacy issues. I had a friend who said they purchased something online, and that transaction haunted them because, on facebook the company posted an announcement saying that so and so bought something from their website.